Thursday, October 23, 2008

For Christians Regarding the "Scary" Election

"It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man. It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in princes." (Psalm 118:8, 9)

I received an e-mail this week saying the upcoming election is the scariest election Christians have ever faced and I have heard similar talk in the mainstream Christian realm. I am blogging with the hope of Biblically debunking this type of propaganda-like talk that promotes unnecessary fear and paranoia.

God’s Word makes it clear that His Children never need to worry about the politics of the world because our Father is ultimately in control. Daniel 2:21 says that God raises up kings and removes kings and Daniel 4:17, 25 & 32 all say, “...until you know the Most High rules in the kingdom of men, and gives it to whomever He will...” With this truth in mind, why should I be scared about who our next president will be?

The e-mail I received also quoted 2 Chronicles 7:14 regarding God healing the nation if His people humble themselves, pray, seek His face and turn from wicked ways. I agree these are crucial instructions to be followed by all believers. However, the premise of the e-mail implied that Christians need to pray for a particular candidate to be elected as part of God healing our land. I say, let’s turn from our wicked ways and seek His face and not worry about the results of a worldly political election; God can forgive our sins and heal our land no matter who is elected president. It is pure myth that a particular political candidate is THE answer for our country and/or our Christian liberties when the Bible says not to trust in princes:

"Do not put your trust in princes, Nor in a son of man, in whom there is no help." (Psalm 146:3)

"It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man. It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in princes." (Psalm 118:8, 9)

If there is a particular candidate I think might do a better job than another, I still realize that Satan is the god of this age and therefore, has his influence on worldly governments and their leaders (2 Cor. 4:4).

Even so, God orders the powers that be and it is my responsibility to obey those leaders, pray for them and not speak evil of them (Romans 13:1; 1 Tim. 2:1-3; Titus 3:1, 2; 1 Peter 2:13-19; Jude 8). And whether our next president is a democrat, republican or a third party candidate, he/she cannot prevent me from loving God with all my heart and loving my neighbor as myself.

My main exhortation is this: Let us not allow a presidential race distract us from the REAL race and prize at hand (1 Cor. 9:24, 25) and let us not be guilty of placing our hope and trust in politicians rather than the LORD.

4 comments:

Veronica said...

Heather, that's definately what I needed to hear. I'll still vote with prayer & guidance, but will not fear for God is in control. Thanks for the encouragement!

administration said...

THANKS so much for this - which I happened to read at a time I very much needed to.
God Bless,
Angela

Joyce Baumann said...

How true! All we can do is cast our vote. The results are in God's hands. There is so much peace in that :).

Anonymous said...

This was really good regarding the whole scary election. We need to encourage one another with words like this when we are in situations that satan uses to undermine our faith in God. Whether one votes or not we need to be steadfast because HE is our King and a righteous one at that. He can be trusted and depended on ALWAYS. Men will fail us BUT GOD NEVER FAILS! Amen sister! Good word!